Laser Alignment Service
EXPERIENCE SHOWS THAT MANY PUMP DISTRESS EVENTS (FAILURES) HAVE THEIR ROOT CAUSE IN THE MISALIGNMENT OF THE PUMP TO MOTOR. MISALIGNED PUMPS CAN EVEN CONSUME UP TO 15% MORE ENERGY INPUT THAN WELL-ALIGNED PUMPS. EVEN SMALL PUMPS CAN GENERATE BIG LOSSES WHEN SHAFT MISALIGNMENT IMPOSES REACTION FORCES ON SHAFTS, EVEN IF THE FLEXIBLE COUPLING SUFFERS NO IMMEDIATE DAMAGE.
Hundreds of technical articles and presentations have elaborated on the serious problems that are caused by incorrect alignment between the pump and driver, such as:
- Coupling overheating and resulting component degradation
- Extreme wear in gear couplings and component fatigue in dry element couplings
- Pump and driver shaft fatigue failure
- Pump and driver bearing overload, leading to failure or short bearing life
- Destructive vibration events. Harmful machinery vibration is created whenever misalignment exists. Excessive pump vibration can shorten bearing and mechanical seal life.
Good alignment has been demonstrated to lead to:
- Lower energy losses due to friction and vibration
- Increased productivity through time savings and repair avoidance
- Reduction in bearing/mechanical seal/shafts and coupling failure
- Reduction in running temperatures